How to Apply
We only accept applications and supporting documents via the Association of American Medical Colleges’ (AAMC) Electronic Residency Application Service® (ERAS®).
FYI - National Residency Matching Program is a different platform. It is for matching programs and residents AFTER interviews and ranking. It is not used for submitting applications.
Applications must be completed in full prior to your interview. The priority application deadline for our program is September 27, 2023. Applications submitted after this date may be considered, but interview invitations will be subject to availability. To process your application, we require the materials listed below:
- Common ERAS application form
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal statement
- Medical school transcript
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1 score*
- USMLE Step 2 CK and CS scores when available*
- Three required letters of recommendation (LOR)
- Two clinical LORs from an internal medicine faculty
- One Department of Medicine Summary Letter of Evaluation (DOM LOE), ideally in the standardized format recommended by the APDIM and CDIM joint guidelines
- Applicants may also choose to include one optional LOR, could be from clinical faculty or scholarly project mentor.
If you have been selected to interview with our program, you will receive an email invitation. Please see the Interview Day page for further details.
Physician Scientist Training Program (PSTP) Applicants
The application requirements for the PSTP are the same as for the categorical training program but the PSTP candidates must also submit the following documents to email@example.com. See the PSTP page for more information.
- Please indicate your subspecialty of interest. Briefly describe your research background and future goals (300 words or less).
- (Optional): Please list up to 3 faculty you are interested in meeting.
We have developed partnerships with several residency programs at the University of Utah where applicants may apply, interview, and match as a categorical PGY1 to their career residency program, and train as preliminary interns with our internal medicine program. These candidates do not interview or match separately with internal medicine.
- University of Utah Health - Anesthesiology/IM NRMP# 1732040C1
- Please note that this track is one of multiple options for matching into the UUH Anesthesiology Residency.
- University of Utah Health - Dermatology/IM NRMP# 1732080C0
- Please note that this track is one of multiple options for matching into the UUH Dermatology Residency.
- University of Utah Health – Neurology NRMP# 1732180C0
- All UUH Adult Neurology Residency positions include a prelim year with IM.
- University of Utah Health – Med-Prelim/Ophthalmology NRMP# 1732140P1
- All UUH/Moran Ophthalmology Residency positions include a prelim year with IM. As the San Francisco match timeline is earlier than the NRMP timeline, applicants who have matched to the University of Utah/Moran Ophthalmology residency do need to rank and submit this Internal Medicine preliminary program via the NRMP match. Applicants do not need to interview separately with the IM preliminary program.
- University of Utah Health - Phys Medicine & Rehab NRMP# 1732340C0
- All PM&R Residency positions include a prelim year with IM.
- University of Utah Health - Radiology-Diagnostic/IM NRMP# 1732420C0
- Please note that this track is one of multiple options for matching into the UUH Diagnostic Radiology Residency.
The University of Utah School of Medicine does not discriminate on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, or veteran’s status. In accordance with the requirements of The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, (Section 504), the University of Utah provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities, so that they may fully participate in its academic programs, employment opportunities, medical services, programs, and events.